5.24.2006

To All the Men I've Loved Before

It's a funny thing how turning thirty makes you philosophical. It's now official. SEDW turned the big 3-0 on Saturday, and I am the last of the bunch to make the leap into the next decade. It's the final countdown (go ahead and do the little tune from Europe's song - it's ok, I do it everytime). My half birthday is, of course, 6-6-06. (That's for you Julia)

It's also a funny thing what triggers certain thoughts in my head. I started thinking about my love for the opposite sex and just how many men in my life I have loved. Of course, the trigger was the Behind the Music on Guns N' Roses last night as I was falling asleep...Maybe I mistook all those they had "loved" before for my own feeble attempt to explain to myself why I just can't get some boys out of my head. Since I fall so hard and fall so fast, I thought I should take an inventory of just how many there are. So here they are, from beginning to end...I really should get a more productive hobby.

My dad: because he's a kind and decent man and because he allowed me to think that when I was 8 we could start that "father/daughter" construction business

My uncle: for calling me Lizard Lips and for loving me like his own

My Johnny: for all the trips and stories and well, for being my grandfather

Dave J. & Rob B.: for making 7th grade a total hell and for reminding me that guys are total assholes sometimes and that for the rest of my life I would feel inferior because of my weight

Joe, Jordan, Danny, Donnie & Jon: for bringing me into adulthood in a nice clean cut sort of way (please reunite...please, for the sake of all that is good and holy)

Shawn G.: for being the first boy to give me a broken heart

Jason W.: for being the first crush I had in high school, and for being a nice boy - always...And also, in hindsight, probably gay

Matt H.: for making me believe that love at first sight is possible and that two people can really connect immediately

Slash: for that flippin sweet rif at the begining of Sweet Child O'Mine

Jason C.: for bringing out my inner diva and for teaching me how to flirt like hell

Andrew S.: for being my first love, for being a truly good and decent human being, for being the man all others have to ineveitably compare to

Jeremy B.: for being the man I always thought I wanted but never could really hold on to, for my college years, for making me recognize life moments, for romance and butterflies and being almost everything

Jason S.: for being the husband formerly known as mine and for all the good and bad along the way

Will Shakespeare: for the belief of true, all consuming love that knows no boundaries, distance or time

Joel Barish: for teaching me how to hold on and when to let go

Mr. Potential: for coming out of left field and for breaking my heart when I didn't think it was possible to break

Mr. Penny: for making me laugh and for being really close to the man I am looking for

...and so to all those I have yet to love...may you be more than most, less than some, but never anything short of enough.


(oh, it wouldn't hurt if you wore good shoes, smell like Jean-Paul Gautier, be bald and make me hap-hap-happy...)

No comments: