2.13.2006

Eight Hours & Counting...

...To what has to be the single most depressing day of the year.

I hate Valentines Day.

I hated it before I was married, while I was married, and I hate it even more this year after being married. This year after the seven years past, should be a great Valentine's day, but do you think that it will be? No. Theoretically, there should be some man out there who wishes that he were with me on that day. But, um...no. That's even more depressing. It is a useless holiday and serves only as a thorough reminder that I am indeed, single and still very much alone. It is a stupid day to make all people feel bad about themselves, their signficiant others or their lack there of.

So I'm resolved that I will continue to remind myself that it is just another day and that it is stupid to care that much about it. I will make a promise to myself to be content with just loving ME tomorrow. I will be content to spend the time loving myself and cherishing who I am rather than with someone who doesn't deserve to be with me. I will remember how lonely Valentine's Day felt in the seven years past - how much I dreaded it each year and how much more satisfying it is just to be content with me.

The hopeless romantic in me makes me continue to hope that maybe this year my expectations might be fulfilled...Current status: Right now there is a Big Pink Valentine's Day Elephant in the room staring at me but avoiding my gaze...so if that damn elephant continues on this path rather than take me out or bring me flowers, well, then I guess that's why they made Golds Gym, Rosemont Shiraz, Marlboro Lights, and Stouffers Mac & Cheese.
Yay, Me.
(NB-C, don't even say a word...this is one day/36 hours that I can legitimately be depressed)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wuv you my sis!!! forever and always..but especially on V-Day!

KJ said...

I hate it too. I refuse to say Happy (insert that word here) Day. So to my fellow single friend, "Happy Random Tuesday"