4.12.2006

Always Changing Probably

I wanted to follow you
Down to your well-furnished cave
And to laugh at your art
I wanted to tell you the truth
But I’m always afraid
That you’ll be torn apart
Oh, say the word
And I’ll tell you you’re wrong
Oh, say the word
I’ve been waiting too long
But when you talk
There’s nothing to hear
I’m always changing
You’re too far or too near
I wanted to tell her the truth
But I’m always afraid it’s not in her heart
I wanted to say how I felt
But I’m always afraid
That she’ll stop when I start
Oh, say the word
When we’re there at her home
Oh, say the word’cause
I don’t want to be alone
But when she talks
She’s all that I hear
How can I help it
You are always too near
--Toad the Wet Sprocket
It's official. I am crazy.
I mean that in the nicest way. But yes, I think I might be certifiable. NB-C pointed out I am being a little whacko and I think she might just be right.
It's spring. My beloved spring. The time when you look out the window and see the sun and just smile...
Anna Nalick said it best..."winter just wasn't my season."
There is something about spring that makes me crazy. But this year, it's kind of taken crazy to a whole new level. And not in the good way. Right now, it seems I'm sort of caught up in it. Drowning in the realness of it. I'm back inside my head, where there is lots of noise and no one is talking but me.
See. Crazy.
The story goes like this:
Last year spring bloomed and I was newly free - caught up in a oblivious - yet blissful - whirlwind from my Waiting to Exhale - it is trash - fleeing from the husband formerly known as mine. I was reborn into the world. I was free. I was happy for the first time in years. I was content to be alone and to absorb energy from everyone. It was great.
This spring came with a tinge of sadness. For the first time in 12 months I realized I was alone. Alone and feeling sorry for myself. And where being alone was so satisfying for all those months before, somehow, as the trees bloomed and as the days extended into night, I realized my solitude. All of a sudden, that apartment I spent so much time in - gratefully - throughout the winter has become a prison.
It's the great irony.
And yes, I am freaking out about turning 30. Me, the baby of the bunch. The suddenly single-in-the-city girl. The one who has all of a sudden heard that biological clock ticking loud and clear. And the one who has suddenly lost that numbness of never wanting to be married again. Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.
So my girls came to the rescue yesterday. (Thank you) As they always do. They always know - and it was even in Vee's horoscope.

And so, to quote another great line from one of my favorite movies (I'm all about the quotes today):

"YOU MUST CHILL! YOU MUST CHILL!"
So I think I'm just gonna chill for awhile, be one with spring and try to come up with my own fun. I need a hobby. An inexpensive hobby. Perhaps that should be the little voice that goes "Get your ass back to the gym since you are paying for it anyway."
Oh, by the way, NB-C has convinced me to not go back to the world of online dating...
just yet.

4 comments:

NB-C said...

Glad to hear that you are NOT entering the on-line thing just yet...sometimes I do make sense.

I think we need to tan, go to the gym and take up golf...I understand that's where some single men my be these days...

JAB said...

30 is really the new 20 and 40 is really the new 30.

NB-C - do you think we should have some celebration in honor of the 10 year anny?

NB-C said...

JAB-

We should! That's a great idea! Let me know what you have in mind...

Kate The Great said...

I'm with NB-C. Now's the time of year I go to the driving range. She's spot on about being a guys hangout. I plan on buying a set of clubs (nothing fancy) at a Play It Again Sports sometime in the next months and a half.

I also hear that get your ass to the gym voice, unfortunately it isn't strong enough to dish out a bitch slap, too.

About online dating: my trouble is it seems some of the guys don't have the chutzpah to really take the relationship (or whatever it is) out of the computer monitor and into a real place of business.