9.02.2007

A Little Slice Of Americana


Guess who I went to visit yesterday?

My favorite of favorite of America's past. The only man I regularly courted and loved in college. Perhaps the single greatest contributor to the foundation of our country. My buddy, my long time friend, Thomas Jefferson.

To all who know me, you aren't surprised I made another pilgrimage to Monticello. The only question you may have is "why did it take you so long!?" So long indeed. I think the last time I stood atop that little mountain was probably 1999 with the husband formerly known as mine. Almost eight years ago! It was as magnificent as I remembered it. It stood in grandeur just like the countless visits before. The echos of the past still spoke to me the same, his familiarity took it usual hold.

God, I love this place.

I choraled my buddy Jeff, a native Frenchman who knows only slightly more people in NOVA as I, to accompany me to Charlottesville yesterday. We had a great (no, wonderful) day on our short road trip that meandered the back roads that Garmin suggested. Deep into the brilliant countryside of Virginia, past green fields and rolling hills that seem unspoiled from any progress to move forward in time. Up to the hill of my Mr. Jefferson. We wandered around the gardens, explored this architectural masterpiece, payed respects at his grave, and witnessed the attempt of an unknowing American diss the French, right in front of an unsuspecting Frenchman. Puzzled look on said Frenchman's face. Priceless. On our way back, we drove through the University of Virginia's campus, and found a great rooftop spot by the Amtrak (that one was for you, Vee) station in Charlottesville for a couple of beers and great conversation. It was a spectacular day, one in which a friendship was forged, and conversation a plenty about all sorts of things like philosophies on life, my weird requirements for potential suitors, religion, politics, and Jeff's sly attempts at being a matchmaker for yours truly.

A day that was hands down one of the best and where a new friendship was forged.

Oh, Mr. Jefferson and your Monticello. How you still hold my heart and mind captive!

No comments: