9.17.2007

Bittersweet


I lived in the L.V. for thirteen years. During those thirteen years I became a fan of the University of Kentucky Wildcats. It's just something that you can't help but avoid. You bleed blue during basketball season, you watch every game at home or at a local sports bar. You cheer for the players, you curse the coach for not living up to the expectation of the fans...you wear your blue & white to show your support, and you take each win and loss personally. But in the thirteen years of my residence, I never believed that the fledgeling football team could pull out a true and monumental win, like the win NB-C would pray for every year against Tennessee. I never thought they'd beat those thugs from UofL...And until Saturday, they hadn't...in a very, very long time.

Oh sure, being a Lexingtonian means you do fun things like tailgaiting the UK football games. There was nothing I used to like better than spending a Saturday during football season with my closest pals, drinking beer, cooking hot dogs, and setting up shop out of the back of a RAV-4, pick-up truck, or Suburban in the middle of the Blue Lot on game day. It was fun. Sometimes we even went into the game, you know to watch instead of relying on 98.1 The Bull to tell us the play by plays, or hearing that famed "FIRST DOWN KENTUCKY!" over the stadium PA system. We relished the fireworks that would come with the occasional touchdown, and most of the time we savored the success of the day as being ours - even if a "W" didn't come at the end.

I loved this ritual. I cherished those days. That was the good stuff.

We went to Nashville in January for The Music City bowl and that was like the creme de la creme of all supreme UK tailgaiting/fanfare. It was Blue & White heaven. A warm and perfect January day. One of the best and most memorable days of my life, one that was not only savored for the kinship and enjoyment of the day, but one where we got our "W" - and we cheered for our Victory!

And now, the other Wildcats are becoming THE WILDCATS. They are ranked 21 (THEY ARE RANKED!!!!!) for the first time since 1985! NINETEEN EIGHTY FIVE. That was the year my sister was born. That's 22 years. That's before cell phones and quite possibly microwaves. That's when shoulder pads were big and so were flourescent colors. I was eight. Madonna was just making her mark and Michael Jackson wasn't a freak. Needless to say, it was a long time ago...

There hasn't been a time in the last four months that I have wanted to be in LEX more. I miss this. I miss being a part of this and the excitement and buzz that is sure to be prevelant throughout my favorite little city. I miss football and the pomp and circumstance. I miss hearing the cheers from the stadium from the parking lot below, or the Hobbit House not far from it. This is one of those things that makes LEX great. What makes you miss it. What made (makes) it special. Maybe Rich Brooks isn't such an asshat afterall. Maybe he just might know what he's doing. Maybe we will finally get a win against Tennessee this year. Or even have a comeback victory against LSU. Suddenly, it seems anything is possible this season. I only wish I were there to experience it.

Good for you, UK. Good for you.

3 comments:

NB-C said...

I had to post...

It was a GREAT night and a GREAT win...even though I spent it in the bed from an aching back and a RAGING sinus infection. Oh how I wish I was there...

By the way, those are Jason's hands and camera in the picture right next to Andre' Woodson. Too bad you can't see his little bald head.

And, this is OUR YEAR to beat TENN. I STILL BELIEVE! Perhaps you can come into town that weekend to witness history!

Anonymous said...

Right behind OSU tailgating from the sounds of it....I AM THRILLED UK IS WINNING THIS YEAR!! I can wear my UK sweatshirt now and then in this Buckeye town and hold my head up...this from one who went to U of L for 2 semesters....since Nat landed there 13 years ago (are you sure it wasn't yesterday? I have been rooting for the Wildcats...except when they were closing in on OSU...

Have a wonderful FOOTBALL year this year you U of K fans....from the land of the #2 teams...BUCKEYE COUNTRY....I AM THRILLED FOR YOU !

The writing as always brought tears....

LOVE TO ALL !

Mom

Kate The Great said...

Gosh how you bring me back. I can hear the cans of Miller Lite popping open. I can smell the burgers and dogs sizzling on the grill and I can feel the sunshine beating it's pink streak into my cheeks. I remember the Cat doing his pushups for every point and I remember the First Down Kentucky cheers during the Curry Years. I watched that game, too, and you exactly described how I felt after that mega win.

How I miss that town, too.

Great post.