5.15.2007

Soap Box

Is it wrong that what I find so terribly heinous about this country is that with all of the issues we face nationally, let alone the perception of this country internationally, that the most important story our media can find the time to cover is Paris Hilton's impending jail time?

May I state, that I do not care if there are 22-days left until she heads the pokey. May I state, that she spelled "sign" like a 5-year old on her website, pleading her legions of fans to "sihn" a petition for reversing these charges. And we care, why? Can I just say.

OMG.

I AM SOOOOOOO over this.

Tell me more about how we should be driving Hybrid cars. Or reducing our overall consumption of our natural resources. Tell me how I can realistically pay $4.00 a gallon for gas this summer, or if there are companies expanding the use of bio-fuel to combat this problem. Please tell me how we manage to impeach a president for his personal, not professional, actions but do nothing about a president who basically tells this nation to F off on a daily basis by acting soley on his own agenda and not that of the millions of Americans who pay his salary. I wonder if the parents of the soldiers in Iraq have a problem with the fact that their sons and daughters are over there fighting, seeing unimaginable things, and all we have to talk about is a freaking socialite's driving on a suspended license. Where are our priorities? When did we stop being civic minded, and start getting so caught up on total crap. It's mindless fodder. It's trash.

And although I love me some celebrity gossip, there is a time and a place where it belongs. Contained to 30-minutes during Extra. 6 blog pages at a time on perezhilton.com. But not on the front page of the newspaper. Not on CNN, MSNBC, or even that blasphemous FOX News. There is so much happening in this country, in this world that is so much more worthy of our time and attention than how poor Miss Paris will fare, or not fare, in the slammer.

2 comments:

ReBeKaH said...

true that!

Kate The Great said...

From a working journalist: you're reading my mind. I've got a new Toyota hybrid announcement and B. Clinton's plan to make 16 global cities more green in my show today. ALSO: Jerry Falwell's viewing and two whales trapped in the Sacramento River.

I'm doing a story about the military's expanded efforts to find two missing soldiers and KY's efforts to reduce the heart disease in Appalachia.

That said - my newscast hits at 4 pm. It's watched mostly by stay-at-home moms and the elderly (though research shows a lot of work-from-home types watch my newscast, too.)
My viewers like a nugget of celeb news now and then, so when something juicy happens - I gotta get it in. Announcement that Hilty's going to the poky? That's news in my book. But a countdown 'til she's behind bars? That's a type of counter that belongs on a blog...

Just my opinion...