3.31.2008

Breaking News! Hell Reportedly A Chilly 31 Degrees



Well, either hell has officially frozen over, or, New Kids fans, it IS a brand new day afterall...

Sweet Baby Jesus. They are reuniting.

This is perhaps, one of, if not the happiest days in my life in the past 14-sad years since they went away. Perhaps the most monumental in the 20-years since they first came into my life. My beloved, New Kids On The Block are coming back twenty (is it possible?) years after releasing Hangin' Tough.

I feel like my bangs just grew 6 inches (thanks to Rave Super Hold hairspray), my spiral perm came back, and I can almost feel the metal reforming in my mouth.

People.com broke the story that NKOTB will be making their historical return this Friday morning on the Today show. And an email from their website soon followed to confirmed that this was, indeed, the case and not a cruel joke. Did you hear me, THIS FRIDAY MORNING.

I. Am. So. Happy.

I knew I shouldn't have thrown away all that precious memorabilia! I knew those dusty t-shirts, buttons, posters, and dolls would be worth something someday. Thank God I still have my Lynn Goldsmith book (proudly displayed atop my armoire with other picture books). I wonder if it's acceptable to wallpaper your office in photos from Teen Beat? I swear. This is like Christmas in April. Maybe even better.


And just like that...all the memories come rushing back. Taking me back to a time and place so familiar and foreign. So impossibly long ago, yet seemingly only yesterday. True New Kids fans know this feeling. That unmistakable feeling you were left with. That pull on your heart. That unyeilding love for five Beantown boys who were a band, yes, but to us...to us...they were so much more.

Trust me. They remember.

Twenty years later and I can almost feel the eruption of 50,000 screaming thirty-something women. Our voices louder, deeper, and less schrill - only with the same anticipation and the same longing. Ohhhh, how it will feel so good to remember what it used to feel like...to live in that distant memory again, if only for another brief moment in time. Together, we will stand and dwell in the sanctity of our youth...once again present in the population of those who understand the obsessive behavior that perpetuated our reason for being. We will dwell in our innocence, of our place in the sun, long before life jaded us. A time before we were girlfriends, wives, mothers, and bitter ex-wives. We can unite again, stand tall against those who scoff, and endlessly obsess over the member we love the most (Joey).


Sign me up, cause I can't wait to be a part of it all over again.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you going to call in sick and take the train up there??? I think you should, you are too close not to. Did it say anything about a tour? Remember when they tried to reunite them a few years ago on that VH1 show, and they wouldn't do it? Wonder what has changed since then? What ever the reason bring it on, I think I still have my huge Jordan pin/picture! HAHA! remember those? And I know I still have the Hanging Touch VHS documentary!!

The Notorious N.A.T said...

I totally would, however, I have to go to Columbus on Friday...Not to fear, there should be plenty of opportunity for stalking with the pending reunion! WOOT!

Anonymous said...

Just to prepare you...so you get the thought out of your head....You absolutely CANNOT use your baby sister to get behind stage and meet them again .......hmmmm....
there is always your new nephew.....
Lurking & anonymous

Kate The Great said...

that is crazy!

I am a loyal GMAer but I will make the switch to watch Danny, Donny, Joe, Jon and Jordan.

Wow. Can't wait.

Rima and Kevin said...

Rebekah was the best to get backstage and ON stage! Thanks, Rebekah! Now that we are pathetic 30-somethings we'll have to figure out another scheme...