10.29.2007

I Carry Your Heart

It was one year ago today, that I last heard your voice. It was a Sunday morning, and I laid in my bed and called to wish you a happy birthday. You were kind of confused and told me about who was coming over and if I knew what their plans were. It was a weird conversation, and left me a little shaken, so much so that I called my parents and asked them if I should come home. I told PZ the same, the following Wednesday when I interviewed with her in Cincinnati. It was to be the last phone call I would ever have with you. And the last time I heard you say the familiar words we ended every call with. I can still hear your voice now as one year ago you said them last..."I love you, Natalie."

The last time I would ever hear your voice. I would ever hear you tell me you loved me. But not the last that I would say the same to you.

God how I miss you.


Happy birthday, Grandma.



i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)
i am never without it(anywhere i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear no fate (for you are my fate,my sweet)
i want no world (for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the budand the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

5 comments:

Barbara WM said...

Beautiful Nat... just beautiful.

It has been almost 11 years since I lost my granny. I still feel the same. I can also remember our last conversation. I still miss her daily. I am sad she never got to meet my husband, my nieces or nephews... or soon my child. But I know she is watching over me, and them now.

Thank you. I needed that today.

SEDW said...

Makes my heart hurt. The last converstation I had with Grandmother was on Christmas Eve 2001. She told me she loved me than I'd ever know. At least we knew our grandparents into adulthood, Nat. We have those memories.

Kate The Great said...

Nice to see you back in the blogosphere... especially when you open up and share such a tender moment and your love for your grandma.

I miss my Nana, too.

But I think she can see me (hopefully only when I'm doing good stuff) and I know she's proud of me.

Kate The Great said...

I miss your posts so much...

I have yet to find a blog that I enjoyed as much as yours... I miss the delicious way you'd string words together. I miss your insight. I miss the provocative topics you'd pen about.

I am so hungry for some blog nourishment...

Please come back.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Aw this was so beautiful, thanks for sharing it.